Panenská Street was originally a street of Bratislava craftsmen and winegrowers. It was founded in the Middle Ages on the property of the female Poor Clares holy order. The space was then called Nunnenpewnt. In 1879, it was renamed Matej Bel Street, after a well-known geographer and historian who was the principal of the nearby Evangelical Lyceum.
The name Panenská Street originated after the First World War.
Today’s Panenská Street in the 16th century was still insignificant, but its importance increased rapidly in the 1770s, when the Evangelical church centre was moved here from the inner city.
The important cultural centre of the Evangelicals is still evoked by two evangelical churches which were built in the second half of the 18th century.
At present, Panenská Street is the seat not only of the Evangelicals, but also the seat of the Central Union of Jewish Religious Communities in the Slovak Republic.